Each spring, on the Wednesday nearest St George's Day, the Governor of Bermuda is driven into King's Square in a horse drawn carriage under a seventeen gun salute, and the Freemasons of Lodge St George hand him a single peppercorn on a velvet cushion. It is the annual rent on the building behind them. The date moves: 2026 fell on 22 April, 2024 on 8 May.
The building is the State House, put up in 1620 for a parliament that had been meeting in the church. It went up in limestone at a time when almost everything else on the island was cedar and thatch, which is why, fortifications aside, nothing else built in Bermuda has lasted as long. It opens to visitors on summer Wednesdays and not much else.
Parliament left for Hamilton on 23 January 1815, which had the deeper harbour and the better position for a colony that had stopped being a garrison and started being a port. St George's kept the empty building, leased it to the Freemasons, and set the rent at a peppercorn.
Losing the government is what preserved the town. Nobody had a reason to knock any of it down and rebuild, so the plan, the lot lines and a good deal of the fabric are still seventeenth and eighteenth century. About 1,500 people live inside it.
The other governing fact about Bermuda is visible on every roof. There is no piped supply here and very little surface fresh water, so a Bermudian house catches its own: limestone slabs laid in shallow steps that slow the runoff enough for the gutters to take it, lime washed white, feeding a tank underneath.
The island gets about 57 inches of rain a year, spread fairly evenly, and building law still fixes how much tank a new roof has to fill. Roof and surface catchment supplied a little over half the island's water on the Government's own accounting, with groundwater and desalination making up the rest.
None of the town was meant to happen. In late July 1609 the Sea Venture was running for Jamestown with the relief fleet when a storm separated her and opened her seams. Sir George Somers drove her deliberately onto the reef off the eastern end of the island to stop her foundering, she wedged in a gap in it, and all one hundred and fifty aboard got ashore.
They were there about nine months and spent them building two pinnaces out of Bermuda cedar and what could be stripped from the wreck. The Deliverance and the Patience sailed for Virginia on 10 May 1610 with everyone aboard but two men. Christopher Carter and Edward Waters stayed because going back meant a trial: Waters had killed a man with a shovel, and Carter was tied to the mutiny against Gates.
A replica of the Deliverance stood on Ordnance Island, across a short bridge from King's Square, from the 1970s until July 2022, when the Corporation of St George demolished it as beyond salvage after storm damage. The site is empty. The wreck had one longer lived consequence: William Strachey, who was aboard, wrote a long account of the storm for a patron in London, and Shakespeare is generally reckoned to have read it before writing The Tempest.
St Peter's stands at the top of a flight of steps off Duke of York Street, white, buttressed and squat. The parish claims it as the oldest Anglican church in continuous use anywhere outside the British Isles, and the claim rests on the site rather than the fabric: there has been a church here since 1612, but most of what stands went up from 1713, and the tower and wings are nineteenth century additions.
Inside it is dark, low and almost entirely cedar: the roof frame, the gallery, the box pews and the altar table, cut on the island and worked by shipwrights. The font was brought from England and is reckoned to be about five hundred years old, which makes it older than the settlement it serves.
The graveyard repays more attention than the interior usually gets. It is walled in two parts, and the western section is where enslaved and free Black Bermudians were buried, separately. The wall between them is the plainest thing in town about how the place actually worked.
That history has a second address a hundred metres downhill. Joseph Hayne Rainey, born into slavery in South Carolina and freed when his father bought the family out, reached Bermuda in 1862 on a blockade runner and set up as a barber at the Tucker House on Water Street. The lane beside it is called Barber's Alley for him.
He went home in 1866. Four years later he took his seat as the first Black man ever to sit in the United States House of Representatives, and on 29 April 1874 he became the first to preside over it.
A short walk uphill is a walled garden holding a second case of divided remains. Somers came back to Bermuda in 1610 for supplies and died here in November, and his heart and entrails were buried on the spot while the rest of him went home to Dorset. The Prince of Wales opened the garden on a visit in 1920.


The forts are not an appendix to the listing. The town and its fortifications were inscribed together as one ensemble, which is why the site is called the Historic Town of St George and Related Fortifications, and there are a great many of them for an island about twenty one miles long.
Bermuda's real defence was never the forts. It was the reef, which reaches far enough offshore that a hostile fleet could not close, and which left exactly one usable way in. That way in is Town Cut, a channel barely wider than the ships that use it, and the small forts stand along it because that is where an attacker had to come.
Fort George sits on the hill above the town and now shares the site with Bermuda Radio, which tracks every vessel coming in through the reef. Alexandra Battery stands further round, above Building's Bay, whose beach is made largely of sea glass tumbled smooth from four centuries of bottles thrown off ships in the harbour approaches. Taking it away from the park is against the law.
Getting there is the thing people get wrong. There is no ferry from Hamilton to St George's. Buses 10 and 11 run the length of the island and take about fifty minutes, though the fleet has been unreliable: in April 2026 fewer than fifty buses were running island wide and thirty seven runs were cancelled in a single afternoon.
The seasonal Orange Route ferry connects the town directly with the Dockyard at the far western end in about forty five minutes, and it was restored on 6 April 2026 for the first time since the pandemic, now running Monday to Saturday into early November. Anyone coming by road from the airport or St David's should also know that the Swing Bridge is being replaced, with phased daytime detours and relocated bus stops running to 7 September 2026.
Expect fewer open doors than the guidebooks promise. The Tucker House museum has been closed since 2025 for conservation work with no reopening date, and the Historic St George's Museum is shut to general visitors; the National Trust's Globe Museum on Duke of York Street is the one that is open. Featherbed Alley still runs a working replica of a Gutenberg press in a cellar.
The cruise premise has gone too. Bermuda expects 193 calls in 2026 and two of them are to St George's, with ships otherwise anchoring off and tendering passengers in to Penno's Wharf, which is a large part of why the Dockyard ferry was brought back. The ducking stool re-enactments still run from the end of March to the end of October, proclaimed in King's Square and ducked off Ordnance Island.
The last thing to see is the one the town never finished. Up the hill behind St Peter's stands a full sized Gothic church, begun in 1874 to replace it, roofless and open to the sky.
It stalled in stages. The congregation split over whether to build it at all, a faction leaving to found its own church; money tightened; and then in 1884 Trinity Church in Hamilton burned down and the funds went west to build the cathedral instead. A storm in the mid 1920s stripped what roofing had gone on an already abandoned shell. The Anglican Church of Bermuda still owns it, the National Trust manages it, and it has been a protected monument since 1992.
Whether the rest of the listing gets the same care is now an open question. A UNESCO monitoring report in November 2024 found that twenty five years after inscription the site still has no management body and no management plan, and that while the town itself is in very good condition the fortifications run from good to poor, with many of them in complete neglect.